Anyone who knows me knows I ain’t no athlete. I am making an attempt these days to get on a bike every now and again, but other than that, you’re not going to find me doing a whole lot of athletic endeavors. Nor do I really follow any sports particularly closely. Admittedly, I will watch the last month of football season, and I’ll follow the World Series if a local team is in the running.
This year, however, I’ve decided I’m going to follow World Cup Soccer and here are my reasons:
- Cute boys with floppy hair
- It is a truly international event. Unlike baseball’s World Series, this truly lives up to its name.
- It strikes me as a very egalitarian sport. The players are not freaks of nature in terms of size or height. They look like normal guys who happen to be very quick and agile.
- Despite my tendency to get a bit insular, it feels kind of good to be engaged in something that millions of other people across the planet are also engaged.
- Soccer players aren’t paid the crazy kind of money that professional sports figures are paid here in the states.
- And did I mention that lots of the players are hecka cute?
So, even though I don’t really understand the rules of the game, I’ll follow what is happening with the World Cup. I haven’t found a team I want to support. I’ll usually just root for the underdog in any given game. Or if there is one of those floppy haired sweaty boys that really make my 51 year old heart swoon, I’ll root for his team.